Thursday 24 November 2016

STORY-TELLING UNIT: Rough Cut and Feedback with Simon Welsford and Mike Rymer

Having finished my shoot a day early, I decided to get straight into editing.

This is the first rough cut of my footage. I decided to get it checked despite knowing I still needed to edit my sound, change the order of a few clips and stabilise some of the footage.

I got quite a positive response from both Simon and Mike.

Simon's Feedback:

- Adjust the audio levels.
- Add a shot of John inside the house when Kyle knocks on the door. This shows that John is deliberately ignoring him (otherwise the audience may assume John was not at home).

I raised a couple of doubts I had with Simon such as the overlapped footage. I was worried that it may look a little messy, however Simon thought it worked. Therefore, I decided to leave it in but change it slightly as it obviously produced my intended effect of showing John's state of confusion.

Mike's Feedback:

- Fill the long black screen between the camera rising up above the laptop and John talking on the phone.
- Make the ringtone quieter to match the rest of the audio.
- At the end, to someone who doesn't know the story, it doesn't look like John is going to jump. Add a clip that tells them that he is going to jump.
- When Kyle says "John, don't" -  have him say "John" from the first angle (behind the 2 actors), and don't when the camera is facing both actors.

Here's my 1st rough cut:


No comments:

Post a Comment